We prayed for a miracle which God granted in heaven. Daily we walk the path of grief, ever leaning on Jesus for our comfort. Until we meet again Millie, always remember you are forever loved and missed!

Friday, October 30, 2020

46 years of memories

 Today, 46 years ago, my momma give birth to a baby girl. It was a wet, stormy night according to her. I was a big baby, over 9 lbs. I do not remember that night. In fact, I do not remember my first birthday either. I do have slight memories of my 2nd or 3rd birthday. A cake my grandma made with a black witch on it and my name misspelled. A new tricycle that I was allowed to ride in the house. Wearing a “Martha Miniature” dress in brown plaid.

My next birthday memory was a rented McDonald land party. The cake with Ronald McDonald on it. The cousins arriving for the party. Playing together in the playground, riding the fry guys, climbing in the “Big Mac” policeman jail. Eating a Happy Meal and getting your own cup of coke. A book that told the story of McDonald land. This was my 4th birthday.
My 7th birthday was a fun night. My mom had a costume party for me. She made me a “Fruit of the Loom” grapes costume and my baby brother was the “Fruit of the Loom” Apple. One gift I distinctly remember was a little plastic box with a handle, much like a purse. It was chocolate brown with the words “Hersey’s” printed on the front to look like the candy bar. I loved things like that. Scratch and sniff stickers, cartoon character lunch boxes, all fun kid stuff!
My 10th birthday was a little less exciting. That year our family was living in harder times. My mom did all she could to make it special. I remember her making two round chocolate cakes and topping them with a paper doily. She then sprinkled powdered sugar on them to decorate with, removed the doily and I had a ‘lacey’ cake top. My momma could make things special from nothing. Games, decorations, and desserts all came from her love and creativity! I am so blessed by her.
After that year, my birthdays do not stand out much until my mid-twenties. My mom hosted a surprise party for me and our oldest daughter whose birthday is just 10 days from mine. I do not remember the year, but I do remember them all coming to our home to surprise me.
Another sweet memory is that each year my maternal grandmother would make me a dessert, usually a slightly burned pumpkin pie of my own for my birthday dessert. I remember the year she made me a yummy coconut cream cake. I enjoyed it the first day and was so sick the second day! I had left it on the counter not realizing the cream would ruin. Sadly, I had to throw the rest out! This same grandma always brought me a card, but usually forgot to sign it. We teased her that she could take it home and reuse it for the next year.
On my 29th birthday, I started the tradition of having lunch with my dear friend Tamy each year. Sometimes it was with our families involved, other times just us two. Her fellowship is always such a blessing in my life. She even decided to make my birthday dessert one year. It was a pumpkin cheesecake. It was so yummy I ate the whole thing and again felt sick, this time from gluttony!
On my 30th birthday I remember David saying, “You have now been married half your life” and then following it up with the joke of “I raised you well”. Since we married as kids, I guess we did raise each other to some extent.
The last few years I do not have any special events or parties that stand out. Maybe I am just forgetful? What does stand out are the little things my children have taken to doing to recognize me on this day. Decorating the kitchen, making a meal, making signs for the table, sending a text or sometimes a call. The greatest gifts I was ever given was these 9 children! Nothing else I get can ever compare to the opportunity to be their mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment