We prayed for a miracle which God granted in heaven. Daily we walk the path of grief, ever leaning on Jesus for our comfort. Until we meet again Millie, always remember you are forever loved and missed!

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Repent, Humble, Pray and Seek

 The mind is a powerful thing. The mind tells us when to be happy. It tells us when to be sad. It alerts us to danger and tells us to fear. Social Media can be a lot like the mind. As I have scrolled through my feed in the last 24 hours, I have been barraged with many opposing views about the state of our nation and our government. Some people are excited for what the next few weeks hold. Some are mad, discouraged, and even disgusted. Most people are somewhere in the middle, wishing that the future was clearer. Many are hoping that our country makes wise choices. They are desiring a change, whatever that change may be. They are loudly shouting their beliefs hoping to influence others!

The mind demands that we focus on these temporary, earthly things.
Colossians 3:1-2 “If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.”
This verse helps us clear our focus. God wants us to focus on the eternal things. We do not have to be filled with fear about the future of our nation. Instead we need to be living our lives with an eternal view. Does my behavior and actions line up with scripture? Does what I say point others to Jesus or to the world? Is my affections set on these earthly things? Do I fear that I will lose them?
I am not saying that we don’t need to show concern and diligence, following your conscience when you make decisions and how you vote. What I am saying is that God is not ignorant of what is happening in our country or the world. He allows rulers (presidents) to be placed in authority for his purposes.
Romans 13:1 “Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God.”
In the Old Testament, God often used the rulers, even the evil ones to accomplish his will. He would chastise his chosen people, Israel for their behavior and lack of faith by allowing their nation to suffer under the hands of unjust rulers. Is God unfair? No, he is simply allowing consequences for disobedience to his law. Just as we parents would allow our child to suffer the consequence for disobedience. This is a learning experience and often brings people to repentance. The goal was to bring Israel as a nation to repentance. I hope the future of our nation is not a hard one with the goal of bringing our nation to repentance. God’s word does say in relationship to the nation of Israel:
2 Chronicles 7:14 “if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
Knowing the nature of God, this very verse does apply to us too. If we REPENT, HUMBLE OURSELVES, PRAY and SEEK GOD’s face (meaning his will), TURN away from wickedness, then he will hear us, forgive us AND HEAL OUR LAND. He laid it out, its up to us to follow HIM.
***Now this was not really a political post. It was encouraging you to seek and live a GODLY life. I have my own political views that I choose not to share. We do not need more dissention and chaos in this country. If you want to private message me and are willing to have a civil conversation, I will share what I believe with you. However, I asked that the comments here not be political in nature. I am not worried who you vote for, but I am worried how you love others. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment