We prayed for a miracle which God granted in heaven. Daily we walk the path of grief, ever leaning on Jesus for our comfort. Until we meet again Millie, always remember you are forever loved and missed!

Saturday, July 24, 2021

A Sweet Bald Head

 


I unknowingly stepped on a landmine today.  I naively entered a war without realizing what was lurking just around the corner.  What seemed to be an ordinary event, a simple everyday task, was instead a battle zone.  The ambush that followed was carried out quickly, landing a direct and completely unexpected blow.  It left me feeling unsure, casting quick glances all around, wondering how to engage and run away all at the same time. My forever trusted companion and accomplice felt the same. 

 

Our family went to buy paint at the hardware store today.  David and I took our Little Man and SJ with us.  As we entered the paint aisle, we spied a beautiful little bald head up in front of us.  Immediately David and I felt that sickening feeling that another child would know the misery and trauma that Millie did.  My mind started racing, wondering if she had cancer or another illness that causes baldness.  I took many quick glances to see if a Broviac was near her neckline, but I could not see one.  That is not uncommon as so many kids get ports under the skin instead of the external hanging Broviac. Little Man and SJ started making comments under their breath, “mom do you think she has cancer?”  “Look at that girl mom!”  As any polite parent does, I reminded them we don’t stare and could talk later about their thoughts. 

 

Even though I too wanted to be polite, my eyes were continually drawn back to that sweet bald head.  I went to war with myself, wondering if I should introduce myself or allow the family to have some privacy.  Finally, as the child walked away with another family member, I approached who I assumed was the mother and simply asked her if she knew what The Jimmy Everest Center (JEC) was.  She was polite and said she was not aware of it.  I went on to explain that it was the cancer center where my daughter received treatment.  Next I asked her if her daughter had cancer?  She said, “No gratefully she has Alopecia” (a condition where all of your hair falls out.)  I then showed her a quick picture of Millie and thanked her for letting me be nosy.

 

As soon as she answered “no” to my cancer question, the uneasiness resolved.  I felt I could breathe again.  I was filled with joy for the little girl not having to fight like my little girl had to fight. David and I both stood with such relief and gratefulness that a little girl we didn’t know did not have to walk through the fire of cancer. 

 

To some people it might seem horrible that I would accost a complete stranger in a store, intrude into her personal business, then share my pain with her.  Maybe it was!  That was the reason for the warring in my spirit of ‘should I bother her?’ or ‘should I turn away?’.  However, my heartfelt reason for approaching her is that I feel called to walk beside other hurting people. I want to be a hope bearer to anyone I can.  I wanted to share that if her daughter had cancer (knowing she would be treated at the same hospital) we have a mom’s support group, started while Millie was sick, solely to support other mamas as they walk through the fire of cancer treatments.  The mamas in that group have become my tribe of support for anything cancer related.  Now granted I am transitioning out because we are Lord Willing done with that part of our life forever, but the friends I have made will be forever friends as I continue to cheer their children on to a long healthy life.

 

The next group I have become well acquainted with is the ‘Bereaved Moms’ who have lost children to cancer. These moms understand all the hurts, the trauma, the ‘behind the mask’ emotions that come up each day. They have each laid a child down in death and they each look to the day they will see them again in heaven. The sweet fellowship that I share with other moms whose children have been treated at JEC and who have walked the path that we are walking is so very necessary to surviving my loss of Millie. If you are a mom who has laid a child down in death, I would HIGHLY suggest that search out a local group of parents who understand.  The support is so needed as you navigate this tough road. If you are a local mama, message me and I will share the info for our group.  I pray the Lord allows me to be a burden bearer, a hope sharer, and a lighter giver in all I do.  

 


𝗕𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝘆𝗲 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿'𝘀 𝗯𝘂𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗻𝘀, 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗼 𝗳𝘂𝗹𝗳𝗶𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘄 𝗼𝗳 𝗖𝗵𝗿𝗶𝘀𝘁.” 𝗚𝗮𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗮𝗻𝘀 𝟲:𝟮

 

 

Blessings sweet friends…

 

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ 。・:*:・゚★。・:*:・゚

I still believe in Millie’s Miracle

。・:*:・゚☆ Hebrews 11:1 。・:*:・゚

 

#MilliesMiracle

 

#ChildhoodCancer

 

#Neuroblastoma

 

#Childloss

 

#Forever3

 

#WithJesus

 

#WhileWeAreWaiting

 

#Anotherdaycloser    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment